Saturday, January 11, 2014

Roasted Broccoli with Gruyere

You know that song, about Romeo and Juliet and broccoli and Gruyère?


You know the one: "Never know how much I love you, never know how much I care, when you put your arms around me, you're like the broccoli to my Gruyère." At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Clearly, some pairings are just meant to be. (Don't question it. Just eat.)



Ingredients
2 heads broccoli, tops divided into florets, tender part of stem sliced
1/2 head cauliflower, divided into florets
1 medium red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
Olive oil
3 oz Gruyère, grated
Salt and freshly ground white pepper


Preheat oven to 425°.

Toss broccoli, cauliflower, and onion with olive oil in a roasting pan (the veggies should be a couple layers deep). Roast for 40 minutes, turning every 15 or so, until tender. Top with Gruyère, then broil 3-4 minutes.

Sprinkle with salt and white pepper, and serve hot.

Serves 2-4. Best the first day, rather than reheated, so why save any for tomorrow?


2 comments:

  1. That is absolutely how the song goes. Oh my gosh, roasted vegetables and oozing, nutty gruyére cheese? This sounds too good to be true.

    Like the song goes "You are the (cave-aged) gruyére beneath my wings."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing, really, how many songs feature Gruyere....

    This recipe remains one of my favorites. I tried it a few weeks ago with just Romanesco and Gruyere. Also song-worthy.

    ReplyDelete